Today we have the perfect recipe for those of you who love a good, cold, refreshing beverage (hint: everyone). The idea is simple, but the number of ways you can alter this basic recipe are so numerous that you will never get bored of it! The only limiting factor is the length of watermelon season, because this recipe works best with fresh, ripe, juicy, seedless Durst watermelons.
Main Ingredients: (for 2 hearty servings or 4 medium servings)
- 3 cups - Fresh seedless Durst watermelon chunks (chilled)
- 1 cup - Ice
- 1/2 cup - cold water for thinning if desired (swap in coconut water to replace salts and potassium on super hot days, or chilled herbal tea, like peppermint or chamomile, when you would like a bit more nourishment)
Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth. Add cold liquid (details above) if a thinner consistency is desired.
Optional Ingredients & Additions:
- For an invigorating, immunity boosting option: add a teaspoon of lemon zest, teaspoon of chopped rosemary, and a squeeze of lemon juice and honey or maple syrup to taste
- For a perfectly summery, anti-oxidant rich option: add 1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil, juice of one lemon or lime, and honey to taste
- For a detoxifying, delicious mix: add a teaspoon of fresh grated ginger, a teaspoon of lime juice, and a couple frozen strawberries. yum!
These are just a few combinations we love, but feel free to add in whatever frozen fruits, fresh herbs or fruit juices that sound delicious to you. Get creative!