Perfect Grilled or Roasted Asparagus
This is our go-to asparagus recipe during the season. Being so simple makes it one of those recipes you can add in to any meal, dressed up in any number of ways to accommodate the cuisine and the rest of the dishes you’re serving. We use thick, fresh asparagus for this recipe, which requires a short cooking time because it is so hydrated. Farmer Jim uses only salt to season his grilled asparagus at home, as it allows the robust flavor of the fresh asparagus to really shine.
-2 tbl olive oil
-1 bunch of fresh Durst asparagus
-Flaked Maldon sea salt
- Heat grill or oven to a temperature of about 400°.
- Coat asparagus with olive oil by combining and tossing in a shallow dish.
- Arrange asparagus on a hot BBQ grill over the flame, or in a baking dish in the middle part of your oven (*grill tip: Farmer Jim usually uses a sheet of foil to line the grill to avoid the olive oil from coming in direct contact with the flame and burning).
- Cook asparagus for about 10 minutes (keep the lid on if BBQing), rotating every few minutes, until you see browning and grill marks. Asparagus should still have a light crunch to them when eaten. Oven-roasted asparagus may take up to 20 minutes depending on thickness.
- Remove from grill or oven, season with flaked salt, and enjoy!
For topping options, consider adding:
- chopped, toasted nuts or seeds
- crumbled cheese (blue cheese, goat cheese, feta, parmesan etc.)
- chopped fresh herbs (marjoram, thyme, oregano)
- fresh squeezed lemon juice