Shaved Asparagus & Snap Pea Salad w/ Roasted Garlic & Dill Vinaigrette
For a special few weeks during the month of May we have the pleasure of harvesting both asparagus and snap peas at the same time. By this point in the season we have typically been harvesting asparagus for a couple of months. The mornings are still crisp. The temperatures during the days are starting to creep upward. We are incredibly busy in the fields transplanting our tomatoes and melons while trying to stay on top of harvesting all of the new asparagus and pea growth each day. We are currently at the tail end of this period this year and have been cooking up a storm with these two delicious spring vegetables.
We were recently asked to attend an event and sample a seasonal dish using our produce. Having both of these vegetables made for a perfect spring dish. We had some fun preparing the vegetables in different ways. We shaved the raw asparagus and sliced the peas cross-wise to give our eaters a fresh perspective on these tried and true spring favorites. We also added a bit of thinly sliced red radish for a pop of color. We dressed the salad up with a tangy, earthy, and bright vinaigrette featuring roasted garlic and fresh dill from our garden. This salad could be easily dressed up further with the addition of a salty cheese or some roasted nuts, but we kept it simple so that folks with common dietary restrictions or allergies could still partake.
For the salad
-1 bunch thick Durst asparagus
-12 oz. Durst snap peas
-1 bunch of red radish
For the vinaigrette
-1/2 Cup extra virgin olive oil
-3 tbl apple cider vinegar
-1 tbl minced shallot
-1 tbl lemon juice
-3 tbl chopped fresh dill
-1 tbl agave syrup
-1/2 head roasted garlic,
mashed into puree
-salt and pepper to taste
Have you seen our new single-pack snap pea container in stores? It is the second in our new line of paper-based packaging options and we are so excited to share it with you all. The 12 oz. container is perfect for this recipe!
1. Trim top of garlic bulb, drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil and roast in oven at 400º for 40 minutes.
2. Rinse all produce. Trim off tougher asparagus ends, radish greens, and snap pea foliage.
3. Using vegetable peeler, peel all asparagus from tip to spear, discarding the pieces of outer skin. Trim shavings roughly into 2-3 in. pieces.
4. Slice snap peas horizontally in 1/16th - 1/8 in. pieces
5. Slice radishes in skinny slices, about 1/8 in.
6. Once garlic is roasted and cooled, squeeze the roasted cloves into a food processor or bowl to mash into a puree.
7. Blend all dressing ingredients in food processor or blender. If you like a thinner dressing, try adding a few tbl of water.
8. Mix all salad ingredients together.
9. Chill salad and vinaigrette separately prior to serving. Toss together when ready to serve. Bon Appetit!